UPDATE 2/2019 – The redevelopment team is still meeting regularly though we are not formally in the redevelopment process at this time. For now the team is focusing on engaging the council and teams in strategic planning for the next year, leading up to and including calling a new pastor.
First Lutheran Church of the Trinity recently celebrated 150 years here in Bridgeport, and this year we are excited to announce that we have entered into a redevelopment partnership with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Metropolitan Chicago Synod of the ELCA. This is an exciting opportunity for First Trinity!
As First Trinity decided to move forward in mission, and to be a sustainable, thriving church, it became important to define what our mission in the world would be. In early May 2017 we voted to approve our call to mission, and on Pentecost Sunday (June 4, 2017) we officially celebrated God’s renewed call and commission for us.
“We are a faith community called to grow in the Spirit, love as Christ loves us, and participate in God’s liberating work of justice and peace.”
The redevelopment process is focused not only on sustainability, but on creating a culture where our congregation is growing and participating in the work of the spirit. Some changes you may notice:
- Growth – We are no longer only a welcoming church. We are an inviting church.
- Discipleship- We are asking members to share their stories of lived faith. This started early in 2017 and will continue throughout the redevelopment process and beyond. Stories will be shared in worship, at special services, and online.
- Shared Leadership – Over the next few years we will work to empower leaders and have effective ministry teams.
- Stewardship – Culturally, we will move to see stewardship and giving as an act of worship, as well as an act of love and solidarity.
- Contextual and Relevant Worship – We will work to make worship more meaningful and inclusive to all who attend service at First Trinity.
- Inclusivity – We will strive to include and empower those who speak a first language that is not English, those that are LGBTQ, and those who are economically disadvantaged.
Questions about the redevelopment process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.